Privacy and security specialist with 8 years of professional experience in building at scale systems, performing security and privacy risk assessments, and designing product features and internal policy focusing on protecting users. Currently pursuing an advanced degree in technology policy and ethics.
Future of Privacy Forum / Legislative Policy Intern
SEPTEMBER 2022 - DECEMBER 2022, SEATTLE, WA
- Perform legislative analysis on technology and privacy laws and regulations.
- Wrote a policy whitepaper on Universal Opt-Out Mechanisms outlining legislative analysis, technical analysis, and policy concerns.
- Educated staff members on technical concepts and industry best practices.
Meta / Senior Privacy Engineer
OCTOBER 2020 - MAY 2022, SEATTLE, WA
- Audit products and infrastructure to ensure privacy standards across the Facebook product line.
- Perform privacy risk analysis on new mergers and acquisitions.
- Identify design patterns and remediations for privacy issues.
New York State, Office of Information Technology and Services (via Google.org) / Engineering Fellow
APRIL 2020 - OCTOBER 2020, REMOTE
- Assisted state technology staff in executing design sprints on digitizing Department of Motor Vehicles services.
- Assembled template application for modernized web services.
- Built and deployed social services front door application (https://findservices.ny.gov)
Google / Senior Privacy Engineer
MAY 2018 - OCTOBER 2020, SEATTLE, WA
- Senior Privacy Engineer specializing in consumer hardware and voice assistant technologies.
- Researched, designed, and implemented holistic privacy-by-design approaches between technology, business, and policy stakeholders.
- Develop, teach, and evangelize privacy education and technology.
- Developed business and technical policy practices to minimize privacy risk.
Google / Security Software Engineer
FEBRUARY 2016 - MAY 2018, SEATTLE, WA
- Built authentication and authorization reverse proxy for cloud applications. Lead for reliability and operations efforts.
Google / Site Reliability Engineer
OCTOBER 2014 - FEBRUARY 2016, SEATTLE, WA
- Built deployment automation for sensitive HR data storage backends. Managed operations response.
University of Washington School of Law / Masters in Jurisprudence
SEPTEMBER 2021 - PRESENT, SEATTLE, WA. GRADE: 3.93
Studying technology policy, privacy law, and researching the intersection of the two with technology best practices.
University of Washington / B.S. Computer Science
SEPTEMBER 2011 - JUNE 2014, SEATTLE, WA. GRADE: 3.74
Focus on Security and Privacy through coursework and undergraduate research.
To make a robot secure: An experimental analysis of cyber security threats against teleoperated surgical robots.
Bonaci, T., Herron, J., Yusuf, T., Yan, J., Kohno, T., & Chizeck, H. J. (2015). arXiv preprint arXiv:1504.04339.
“Dr. Hacker, I Presume?” An Experimentally-based Discussion about Security of Teleoperated Surgical Systems
Yusuf, T., Bonaci, T., Kohno, T., & Chizeck, H. J. (2014). San Diego, CA: USENIX Association. Link to video
- Program Committee Member - Privacy Engineering in Practice and Respect (PEPR) 2022 (https://www.usenix.org/conference/pepr22)